Saturday, February 26, 2011

Finally completed something!

Apparently, February 15th was a Tuesday...not a Saturday. It also seems that it flew past me. BUT, good news! I actually made something today. Lila's room is sort of in the midst of planning still. We have to pull the carpet out and I can't do much until that happens. So, in an effort to not overwhelm myself I made something that did not have to be sewn. If I'm being honest, I made this solely because I couldn't believe that it was as easy as the tutorial made it sound. And I found some inspiration at TJMaxx Home Goods. As with all future tutorials I will attempt to complete, the link will come first and pictures of my efforts will follow. I'm not going to give too much step by step because the tutorials speak for themselves.

Roman Shade Tutorial

I have to start by saying that I actually purchased a shower curtain at TJMaxx for $8 to make this. I already had the muslin (backing fabric) which I think was $1 at Walmart. In the pictures I show craft glue, but for the sake of time I chose to go with hot glue instead. The blinds came with our house which should tell you they are older than old.



The results (it's not perfect by any stretch, but I love it :-)

Two suggestions:
*It's supposed to fit more recessed in the window...make sure your blinds fit the window correctly.
*Maybe don't do this while 7 months pregnant. It's a lot of moving around on the back is killing me.

Let me know what you think!


  1. Wow! Very impressed -- you make it sound so easy, like something even *I* could attempt :)

  2. Awesome job! I am very impressed.

  3. Oops! That comment above was me not Skip, but I'm sure he would agree!

  4. That's really great you think you could do that with the (fake) wood blinds that i have in my house?? They are the fatter slat thing-ys? wow, I am so technical. haha! Anyway...let me know what you think! :)

  5. Thanks guys! Actually Kim in the tutorial I think she was using the wood blinds and it looked better and easier. The cheap plastic blinds have a curve to them and they are flimsy so you really have to make sure they glue on well. I will totally help you if you want to do it!

  6. Jana! That looks awesome!! I've been wanting roman shades for the windows of my kitchen! I'll have to remember this!

  7. I found your blog through Sew Mama Sew and I have to say the timing is perfect. I have made these type of shades from scratch before and had plans to do so for our new house. Seeing you re-use existing blinds for this project makes perfect sense! Thanks for the tutorial...I am definitely giving this a try!